When I first looked into how to make various alternative milks at home I was surprised at how easy it is to make coconut milk! It literally takes 2 ingredients and 10 minutes. The result is fresh “milk” that is 100% free of any additives.
Look for a bag of organic shredded coconut and you already have the 2nd ingredient at home: water. You will need a large bowl or pitcher, either a fine mesh strainer, nut milk bag, or cheese cloth, and a mason jar or bottle with a lid. I like to use Ellie’s Best to make my nut milks it’s large, sturdy, and easy to clean. Since the homemade coconut milk contains no preservatives it will last about 4-5 days. You can add coconut milk to oatmeal, cereals, coffee, tea, baking recipes, curry, etc. So using it before it spoils shouldn’t be a problem.
The other benefit to making homemade coconut milk is you can make different flavors by infusing it. Some variations may be vanilla, chocolate, or lavender. Follow the directions below and add the following steps if making an infused version.
- To make vanilla flavored coconut milk add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- For chocolate you can add 2 tablespoons of cacao or coco powder to the blender before straining.
- Using lavender gives it a unique taste. This goes great with teas that contain chamomile, lemon, or rooibos in them. Add 4 tablespoons of fresh lavender buds when heating the water.
(vegan, paleo, refined-sugar free, gluten-free, low-fodmap)
Time: 10 minutes Serves: 4 cups
- 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 cups of water
- Heat the 4 cups of water over medium heat, turn off the burner before the water comes to a boil.
- Add the shredded coconut and heated water to a blender. If all the liquid does not fit in the blender, cut the recipe in half and do 2 batches.
- Blend for about a minute.
- Allow the coconut milk to cool before handling with a nut bag or cheese cloth.
- Place the fine mesh over a large bowl or pitcher (a pitcher is easier to manage). Make sure the mesh is stable while you slowly pour the contents. Once all the liquid is transferred from the blender to the pitcher use your hands to squeeze the mesh to drain excess fluid from the shredded coconut.
- Store in mason jar or bottle with a tight lid for 4-5 days. Separation may occur just shake before using.